- Vinatieri was the kicker for the Patriots during their 3 Super Bowl Championships.
- "Automatic Adam" was the Patriots all-time leading scorer until Gostkowski overcame him this December.
When it come to kickoffs, touchbacks are a good thing and McAfee had 70 of them this season alone. Yes, 70 of the 99 kickoffs McAfee kicked in the regular season were touchbacks. To put this in perspective, Gostkowski also had 99 kickoffs in the regular season and only 53 of them were touchbacks.
If you add up the 70 touchbacks and 26 returns on McAfee's regular season kickoffs you get 96 which appears to be 3 kickoffs short. Well, those three kickoffs that appear to be missing were all onside kicks. More accurately, they were all successful onside kicks. While one of the kicks wasn't super tricky as is occurred late in the game with the Colts trailing, the other two came early on with the Colts in the lead. Here is a quick recap of each onside kick:
- 9/07- Down 17-31 at Denver with 9:54 left in the game. Resulting possession ended in an Andrew Luck interception. The Colts lost 31-24.
- 9/28- Up 7-0 at home against the Tennessee Titans with 7:06 left in the first quarter. Resulted in a touchdown and final score victory of 41-17.
- 10/0- Up 3-0 in Houston with 11:13 left in the first quarter. Two plays later the Colts scored a touchdown and went up 10-0. Eventually won the game 33-28.