Half of Season:
Games 1-8: 13
Games 9-16: 8
Which Teams Didn't Sack Brady and Their Ranking
Chicago: 16 (39 sacks)
@ Detroit: 8 (42 sacks)
@ Indianapolis: 9 (41 sacks)
Facts About Brady's Sacks in 1st Half of Season
He was sacked 13 times
4 were from the shotgun formation
4 were sack/fumbles
3 ended in a turnover
Was sacked at least one time in games 1-7
6 sacks occurred when the Patriots were losing
11 of 13 sacks occurred when Patriots were either trailing or up by 7 points or less
Facts About Brady's Sacks in the 2nd Half of the Season
He was sacked 8 times
6 were from the shotgun formation
none of them were fumbles
none of them resulted in a turnover
He wasn't sacked in three of the last eight games
He was only sacked multiple times against the Jets
4 sacks occurred when the Patriots were losing
All of the 8 sacks occurred when the Patriots were either trailing or tied
Game 1 at Miami- 4 sacks allowed, 2 resulted in turnovers
- 2nd and 8 on NE 37- sack/fumble by C. Wake (NE 20 MIA 13)
- 2nd and 20 on NE 22- McCaine (NE 20 MIA 23)
- 3rd and 8 on NE 34- Vernon (NE 20 MIA 23)
- 4th and 10 on NE 18- Shotgun- sack/fumble by C. Wake (NE20 MIA 30)
Summary: Offensive line was a total mess. Brady had no confidence in his receivers and seemed to have tunnel vision when Gronk was in the game. Rob Gronkowski wasn't playing very well or in many plays. Piss poor play calling by Josh McDaniels, 56 passing plays to 20 running plays. I mean, why would you want to run the ball when you are only getting 4.5 yards per carry?
Game 2 at Minnesota- 1 sack allowed
- 1st and 10 on MIN 31- Johnson (NE 30 MIN 7)
Summary: While sacks happen, they happen a lot less when you run a balanced offense (21 pass attempts and 37 rushing attempts).
Game 3 against Oakland- 2 sacks allowed
- 3rd and 15 on NE 15- Shotgun- Tuck (NE 10 OAK 3)
- 2nd and 9 on NE 28- Wilson (NE 16 OAK 9)
Summary: Team couldn't get into the end zone and had 3 three and outs. Vince Wilfork saved the day with an interception at the end of the game.
Game 4 at Kansas City- 2 sacks allowed
- 3rd and 6 on NE 24- Shotgun- sack/fumble recovered by Patriots- Houston (NE 0 KC 17)
- 2nd and 7 on NE 14 - sack/fumble- Hali (NE 0 KC 17)
Summary: The Chiefs were 5th in the league with 46 total sacks. At home they had 31 sacks. Brady had a QBR or 11.6 and was replaced by Jimmy Garoppolo.
Game 5 against Cincinnati- 1 sack allowed
- 1st and 10 on NE 33- Geathers (NE 14 CIN 0)
Summary: The Patriots handled the undefeated Bengals easily and silenced the critics pretty quickly. Gronk was now "back", the offense was well balanced and players were asked to do what they are good at. 220 yards on the ground and 285 in the air.
Game 6 at Buffalo- 2 sacks allowed
- 1st and 10 on NE 32- Hughes(NE 7 BUF 0)
- 1st and 7 on NE 45 - shotgun- Williams (NE 10 BUF 7)
Game 7 against NY Jets- 1 sack allowed
- 1st and 10 on NY 10- Harris (NE 7 NY 9)
Summary: Giving up 1 sack to a Rex Ryan defense is nothing to sneeze at. Considering that McDaniels called another crappy pass happy game, I'd say it was rather impressive. 37 passing plays and 15 rushing attempts (12 if you don't count the 3 plays to run out the clock in the 4th quarter).
Game 8 against Chicago- no sacks allowed
Summary: Final score 51-23. Tom Brady threw 5 touchdown passes (Gronkowski 3, LaFell 1 and Wright 1). With the help of Rob Ninkovich and the rest of the Patriots defense, the team scored 3 touchdowns after the two-minute warning before halftime.
- 1st and 10 on NE 33- Geathers (NE 14 CIN 0)
- 1st and 10 on DEN 17- shotgun- Wade (NE 3 DEN 7)
Game 10 at Indianapolis- no sacks allowed
Summary: Two touchdown passes (Gronkowski 1, Wright 1) and a phenomenal day by Jonas Gray (201 yards and 4 touchdowns) made that interception before halftime fade away in everyone's memories pretty quickly.
Game 11 against Detroit- no sacks allowed
Summary: 4 quarterback hits on 53 attempts, I'd say that's some pretty good protection. LeGarrette Blount picked up where he left off with 2 touchdowns and 78 yards on 12 carries. Danny Amendola had an 81 yard kickoff return to set up Blount's first score of the day. Wright caught 2 more touchdown passes.
Game 12 at Green Bay- 1 sack allowed
- 3rd and 9 on GB 20- shotgun - Daniels/Neal (NE 21 GB 26)
Game 13 at San Diego- 1 sack allowed
- 3rd and 1 on SD 1- shotgun- Ingram (NE 0 SD 0)
Game 14 against Miami- no sacks allowed
Summary: Tom Brady had 3 carries for 18 yards. One run was 17 yards.
Game 15 at NY Jets- 4 sacks allowed
- 3rd and 3 on NY 47- shotgun- Pace/Harris (NE 0 NY 0)
- 1st and 10 on NE 44- Wilkerson/Coples (NE 0 NY 0)
- 3rd and 14 on NE 40- shotgun- Allen/Davis (NE 0 NY 0)
- 1st and 10 on NE 17- shotgun- Richardson/Pace (NE 7 NY 10)
Pass, Pass, Sack, Punt
Run, Run, Pass, Punt
Pass, Pass, Keeper, Pass, Pass, Sack, Pass, Sack, Punt
Game 16 against Buffalo- 1 sack allowed
- 2nd and 3 on Buffalo 19- Charles (NE 3 BUF 14)